Monday, September 1, 2008

Happy Labor Day (here's a hat!)


Today was a good Labor Day. Very quiet (and I've had very few quiet days over the last month). And since it was quiet, I finally got my adjustments to the hat pattern in Rebecca Magazine written out. I, along with just about everyone else I know who knits, loved the Foliage hat pattern from knitty. And I got some Malabrigo yarn with the idea of making it. But, right about that same time, I saw this pattern in Rebecca No. 36.

I decided to use the idea of the pattern running all the way to the top that I liked so much in the Foliage pattern along with the different lace rib pattern from the Rebecca hat and this is what I came up with.



And here are adjustments in case you'd like to have one as well. It's still hot here (it actually got cool over the last week and now hot again today and yesterday) but I know that I'll be happy to have the hat to go along with my collection of new scarves and cowls when it gets cold.


Work pattern as printed until row 35

Repeat 11-16 once more

BEGIN DECREASE:

Start repeat again but this time, on the 4th row, p2tog rather than p2 ea time (so the rib pattern reads: *p2tog, k3*, repeat between *)

*p1, k3* rib repeat for one row

*p1, yo, sl 1 knitwise, k2tog, psso, yo* repeat

*p1, k3* rib repeat for one row

*p1, k3, p1, place next 3 stitches on a cable needle and hold in front, k2tog, k2tog, knit 3 stitches from cable needle, p1, k3* repeat 3 more times

*p1, k3, p1, ssk, k3, p1, k3* repeat 3 more times

*p1, k3, p1, ssk, k2, p1, k3* repeat 3 more times

*p1, k3* around

*p1, yo, sl1 knitwise, k2tog, psso, yo, p1, sl1 knitwise, k2tog, psso, p1, yo, sl 1 knitwise, k2tog, psso, yo* repeat 3 more times

*p1, k3, p3tog, k3* repeat 3 more times

*p1, place next 3 stitches on a cable needle and hold in front, k2tog, k2tog, knit 2 stitches from cable needle* repeat 3 more times

*p1, ssk, k3* repeat 3 more times

*p1, ssk, k2* repeat 3 more times

*p1, p3tog* repeat 3 more times

8 stitches remaining – draw tail through all 8 stitches and pull tight

work in loose ends

3 comments:

melissa said...

that's a gorgeous hat. i adore both the yarn you chose, and the design!

hope you get some good hat-wearing yarn to wear it in soon.

montague said...

cute hat! love the color you chose... i need to finish the blanket i'm making so i can move on to making a hat and gloves for winter!

Nest said...

ha ha! I love the hat so very much that I want to make one for myself. Thank you for sharing the pattern info.

It is GORGEOUS and soft.
Jean
aka nestmaine